StARR Frequently Asked Questions

I’m interested in basic science, rather than clinical and translational science. Am I eligible for StARR?
This StARR program is designed to support residents in pursuing clinical and translational research. While this may include some forms of pre-clinical research, laboratory research that does not involve any human tissues does not fall within the scope of our program.

I’m interested in quality improvement. Does the StARR program support this type of scholarly activity?
Research projects directed at improving or studying the quality of care are supported by this StARR program, provided that the research is designed and conducted in a way likely to create generalizable knowledge.

I’m a UCSF resident from a department other than medicine, pediatrics or anesthesia. Can I apply to be a StARR scholar?
Residents from other departments will be considered for StARR, but additional legwork may be required to determine whether residents’ programs/departments can provide necessary co-support as well as confirm that StARR is compatible with training requirements for board eligibility in their discipline.

I’m a resident who is interested in research but don’t yet know if I want to make this the focus of my future career. Is StARR a good program for me?
One of the goals of StARR is to help promising residents who are interested in research to assess whether a career involving research is right for them. Residents should already have enough interest in research to devote themselves to research-related activities for one year (the StARR year), while continuing to be active in clinical care.

I’m interested in obtaining an MPH or other master’s degree relevant to clinical research. Can StARR be used to pursue this?
The NIH has indicated that StARR program funds cannot be used for tuition for degree programs. However, residents may use StARR funds to pursue other structured training programs that provide a strong methodological foundation for conducting research, such as the Advanced Training in Clinical Research certificate program.

I’m interested in research, but I don’t want to study cardiovascular or pulmonary health conditions. Can I use StARR to conduct research in other disease areas?
Since this program is funded by the National Institute of Heart Lung and Blood Disorders, StARR residents must identify at least one research project during their StARR year that is relevant to an aspect of cardiovascular or pulmonary health. However, this program supports residents with a wide variety of perspectives on cardiovascular or pulmonary health; it is not restricted to residents planning to become cardiology or pulmonology subspecialists.