StARR Support and Benefits

The StARR program covers 80% of residents' salaries during their StARR year and provides funds to support didactic training in research. The other 20% of residents’ salaries as well as their benefits and housing bonuses are covered by their residency programs or departments.

Resident scholars also have access to additional research support funds, travel/conference funds, workspace in UCSF Mission Hall, and support from statisticians within the Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics.

Successful StARR graduates are also eligible to apply for new Transitions from StARR K38 grants from the NHLBI that can provide future salary and research support after completion of StARR. Graduates can carry these NIH funds on to other institutions, if desired.

Timing of StARR support

Residents may pursue StARR at different timepoints in their postgraduate training depending on their clinical background. 

Medicine and Pediatrics: Residents pursue StARR either through an additional (PGY4) year of residency (via the “extended residency” StARR pathway) or by substituting a StARR year  (via the short-track StARR pathway) for the usual PGY3 year.

Anesthesia: Residents pursue StARR during either their PGY4 or PGY5 year as part of the residency’s Research Scholars Track, which also involves shorter periods of research earlier in residency.