Stimulating Access to Research in Residency Program

The UCSF Stimulating Access to Research in Residency (StARR) Program seeks to recruit, support and train outstanding clinical residents with the potential to become successful clinical and translational researchers and advance understanding of cardiovascular or pulmonary health conditions. 

With funding from the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), StARR supports UCSF residents for a contiguous year (July to June), in which residents devote 80% time to research and research-related training, with the remaining 20% of their time spent on patient care.

The goals of the StARR program are to:  

  • Guide promising residents in obtaining the methodological, analytic, and collaborative research skills they need to advance their research and career goals
  • Create and maintain effective, influential, and long-lasting mentor relationships for residents interested in research
  • Support residents in conducting high-impact research to improve prevention, detection, or management of cardiovascular or pulmonary health conditions
  • Enable residents to compete for other forms of support to help them pursue future careers in clinical or translational research

The program builds upon a longstanding, successful Resident Research Training Program within the UCSF Clinical and Translational Science Training program, which has helped more than a thousand UCSF residents obtain introductory research skills and pursue and present short-term research projects in the past decade.

For more information about the StARR program see: